Choosing the right type of web hosting can be very confusing if you don’t know exactly what you are looking for or you get easily confused by Hosting Jargon. So, we have put together a quick guide to the different types of hosting available.
Business web server solutions, personal websites, and small business ecommerce sites require very different web hosting solutions. A large business would want a dedicated web server that is managed 24 hours a day 7 days a week, by a staff of highly trained technicians. On the other hand, someone who runs a casual, personal website may find that a basic web hosting service is more than enough for them.
When choosing a web hosting package it is very important that you first consider what your needs are. Web hosting can be narrowed down into the following categories:
- Shared Hosting – Most popular, your website is hosted on a server that is set up to host multiple sites. The shared hosting platform is managed by the provider, so all you need to think about is creating your website.
- Dedicated Server Hosting Managed – your own personal server with your own unique hosting space, server hardware and software, housed in a fully equipped data centre. Your server is administered and maintained by a team of trained technicians, including application management and support. User access will enable you to manage your hosting and email accounts.
- Dedicated Server Hosting Unmanaged – your own personal server with your own unique hosting space, server hardware and software, housed in a fully equipped data centre. Server administration is taken care of by you, the customer.
Shared hosting is the most popular type of web hosting on the market. Nearly all personal websites and small to medium businesses require only a fraction of the resources of a complete web server. It would be expensive for these sites to all reside on their own server, which makes shared hosting the perfect choice. Plus a clustered structure improves reliability and provides an enterprise level infrastructure that doesn’t cost you a fortune.
When it comes to shared hosting we have packages to suit most people from personal websites and blogs to hosting, perfect for small to medium size businesses online. Plus we have over 160 apps and one click installs available with all of our Linux hosting packages, so it’s even easier to get a great website or blog live in no time at all.
Linux or Windows?
The type of hosting you need depends on what kind of development language or database you might use with your website. Your home operating system will not affect which hosting account you choose. View our guide on the difference between Linux and Windows hosting HERE
Compare our packages and get 33% off Professional, Premium and Platinum Hosting for a limited time only. CLICK HERE to compare
Dedicated server hosting can provide many benefits to a hosting client depending on their particular needs and the function of their website. They are seen as the best type of web hosting for people who are running large resource intensive websites that receive many visitors.
A dedicated server is yours only, meaning that you are not sharing it with anyone else, therefore all the resources on the server are for your use only and can’t be used by anyone else, allowing you to ensure that you are able to provide a reliable and stable service.
As dedicated hosting providers, we will house your server in a fully equipped and redundant data centre, saving you the time, infrastructure and running costs of having your own server on-site. Trained experts are on hand round the clock to ensure your server maintains maximum performance levels.
There are two different types of dedicated Hosting options available to you – Managed and Unmanaged and there are advantages on both sides:
Advantages of Managed dedicated hosting
- Security updates are completed by your hosting provider.
- Operating system updates are completed by your hosting provider.
- Any technical issues with the server or its operation are resolved by your hosting provider.
- Service Level Agreements
Advantages of Unmanaged dedicated hosting
- You maintain complete control over the server.
- You chose when updates are applied
- More flexible configurations
- If you know how to administer a server, a self-managed or unmanaged server will cost you less than a managed server.
To find out more about our Dedicated server packages available CLICK HERE or call us directly on 0845 363 3635
PLUS Like us on Facebook before the 14th November and you can be in with the chance to win a years FREE Shared Hosting package with 3 Domains of your choice!